DAA 2013 report
The full report of the event is now available along with the individual workshops reports.
Watch the video recording of the plenary session!
See the recording of the plenary session (it is recommended to watch the video recording with Internet Explorer as some issues may be experienced at the moment with Mozilla Firefox).
Matt Cooper, Irish journalist, television and radio presenter, was the moderator of the day.
08:00 - 08:45 - Registration and coffee
9:00 - Welcome by Pat Rabbitte, Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
9:15 - Keynote speech by Vice-President Neelie Kroes
9:40 - Keynote speech by Lord David Puttnam, Digital Champion for Ireland
Panel 1: New technology enablers
10:00 - Plenary advocates reporting on workshops: Gergana Passy (workshop 2), Ben Hurley (workshop 3), Chi Onwurah (workshop 4), Anna Mazgal (workshop 5)
10:20 - Panel discussion focusing on technology enablers
Concept / Panel 1 narrative:
The new technology enablers – broadband and cloud – are game changers for a digital transformation of both the economy and the society. They bring benefits in the shape of content and creative and are fundamental to permitting the rollout of new, efficient and essential digital services such as health and public services. The narrative of the panel was the following:
- Roll-out of broadband, the benefits this brings compared to a "before/after" situation, particularly in rural areas and for SMEs in these areas.
- How demand can be stimulated e.g. showing businesses how using cloud services helps them to become more productive at lower cost, and creates more growth.
- New technology enablers also require trust and security in the internet and the necessary ICT skills.
- Dana Strong, Chair of Ireland's Telecoms and Internet Foundation
- Gabrielle Gauthey, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs Alcatel-Lucent
- Rainer Zinow, Senior Vice President On-Demand Strategy SAP
- Bruce Schneier, Cryptographer, computer security specialist, and writer
- Nicolas Buck, BUSINESSEUROPE - CEO of Seqvoia, and Vice President of Fedil-ICT
11:30 - Ralph Rivera, Head of BBC Future Media
12:00 - 13:30: Lunch
13:30 - Keynote speech by Harri Koponen, Senior Advisor at Rovio
13:45 - Jordan Casey, 13 year old self-taught programmer and Founder and CEO of Mobile Games start-up Casey Games
Panel 2: Digital mindset – Focus on entrepreneurship, skills and jobs
14:00 - Plenary advocates reporting on workshops: Julie Cullen (workshop 1), Ales Spetic (workshop 6), Saskia Van-Uffelen (workshop 7)
14:15 - Panel discussion
Concept / Panel 2 narrative:
"Digital mindset" is no longer a novelty or a marginal phenomenon. It is mainstream and essential for everyday life, for creating businesses, for employment and for creating growth and jobs. The digital mindset needs to be developed in the EU and passes through:
- Digital skills, for both youth and elderly, for ICT practitioners but also as a centre-piece in education or further education, particularly in socially challenged populations and areas.
- Improving the general framework conditions – including innovative sources of funding - for the entrepreneurs and their digital mindset as they create innovative solutions and new sources of growth.
15:10 - Wrap-up and conclusions by Robert Madelin, European Commission, Director-General DG CONNECT
15:25 - Matt Cooper, Plenary moderator
15:30 - Conference ended