These 19 areas are part of the following challenges :
- Challenge 1 : Pervasive and trustworthy network and service infrastructures
- Challenge 2 : Cognitive systems, interaction, robotics
- Challenge 3 : Components, systems, engineering
- Challenge 5 : Towards sustainable and personalised healthcare
- Challenge 6 : ICT for mobility, environmental stability and energy efficiency
- Challenge 7 : ICT for independent living , inclusion and governance
The call also promotes research in three new areas of Future and Emerging Technologies:
- Concurrent tera-device computing
- Quantum information foundations and technologies
- Biochemistry-based information technology
Finally the call also includes a number of Coordination and Support actions, with particular emphasis on international cooperation in ICT with partner countries overseas.
The ICT theme has committed a budget of €801m for this call. The closing date for proposals is 17h00 on 1st April 2009; and it is expected that the first projects funded from this action will be launched in the late autumn of 2009.
The ICT theme has also on 19th November launched a call jointly with the ENERGY theme, covering Novel ICT solutions for smart electricity distribution networks.
This call, budgeted with €10m from ICT and €10m from ENERGY, will close on 31st March 2009 with project launches also in the late autumn of 2009.
Both of these calls will be featured strongly at the ICT 2008 Event, which is taking place in Lyon on 25-27 November.