The work session will be organised around the transformation of the services sector and the shift of a large part of our economy into a digital economy. We will focus on how connecting everyday products and citizens/consumers to the internet is deeply transforming and opening the way to highly disruptive business models, also in traditional sectors. We will discuss both challenges to established players and opportunities to transform business landscape in Europe.
The Work session will also be an occasion to showcase European success stories in the digital transformation, present recommendations for actions by the EU and discuss actions to be taken by the businesses themselves.
Key questions about the digital single market will be discussed:
- How does the digital challenge business models in various sectors in EU?
- What are the key trends in various sectors?
- How can the digital single market in EU help to scale up business and create growth?
- What are they barriers and key strengths in EU (regulatory, economic, cultural, and societal)?
- How to facilitate the transition of traditional sectors to the digital world?
- Where to draw a line between public and private actions for the DSM?
- What should be the priority areas for action by the EU in the next five years?
- What place for self-regulation?
Click to show the agenda
Moderator of the whole session: Ann Mettler, executive director and co-founder, the Lisbon Council
14.00 - Business panel
- Erik Meierhoff, Chief Strategy Officer, Rakuten
- Steven Roberts, Strategic Transformation Director, Barclays
- Nicholas Hall, director, Digital Tourism Association,
- Jeanine Vos, Executive Director, Connected Living GSMA
- Peer Bentzen, Executive Vice President MAIL Deutsche Post
- Eric Merkel Sobotta, executive vice-president, Springer
15.15 - Policy panel