Program for Internet and Broadband Development in Areas of Special State Concern, Hilly and Mountainous Areas and Islands
Hilly and mountainous areas and islands of Croatia
Duration of the project
1st of September 2011 up to 31st of August 2016
Number of households supplied
In three rounds of public tendering, 231 schools, health institutions and voluntary fire brigades were supplied with broadband.
xDSL, fiber, 3G, LTE, microwave
- Within the first 6 months: 2 Mbps
- until the end of the project: 30+ Mbps
Building up Organisation
The National Regulatory Agency HAKOM is leading the project. The project is based on public tendering for certain areas (county - NUTS3). The chosen supplier has to enable targeted users with broadband connection with predefined speeds regardless of technology. Until now, three rounds of public tendering were finished and the fourth is under way.
Hrvatski Telekom d.d., VIPnet d.o.o., H1 Telekom d.d., Pro-Ping d.o.o.
Total budget is 50 Mio Kuna. In three rounds of tender 33 Mio Kuna were awarded to suppliers for building broadband infrastructure.
- Broadband access for all unconnected elementary and secondary schools, healthcare institutions and voluntary fire brigades.
- Increasing density of broadband access in the target area by connecting local population to broadband access.
- Supporting a balanced regional development of information and communication technology
- Supporting the development of rural areas, particularly remote and less populated areas
- Permitting the inclusion of (at least a part of) population of these areas into information society
- Support the development of education, health, agriculture and tourism in the areas in question
- Promote a more dynamic development of free, neutral competition in all elements of the broadband ecosystem
- To provide internet connection for elementary and secondary schools, healthcare institutions and voluntary fire brigades in areas of special state concern, in highland areas and on islands
- Increasing density of broadband access in the target area by connecting local population to broadband access
- More balanced regional development
- Faster growth of internet use and broadband internet access in economically inefficient areas
- Contribution to overall regional development and more dynamic economy
- Improvement of the educational and healthcare system in the targeted areas
For more information