The language industry web platform is managed by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Translation, assisted by an editorial board which includes 10 influential language industry experts.
Purpose and goals
- To enable the sharing of statistics and information about the language industry in the EU, through the web platform open to all
- To create a partnership between DG Translation, the language industry, professional associations, and universities – through the editorial board, which meets 3-4 times a year
- To increase the language industry's visibility in the long-term and to promote its added value to business and growth
DG Translation manages the platform and facilitates the work of the expert group.
The editorial board is responsible for:
- raising awareness of the platform acts as interface between the project and its various participants
- acting as industry ambassadors in different events and contexts to highlight the value of language services both economically and socially
- highlighting the open, non-commercial character of the platform's content.
Editorial board members
- Françoise Bajon, Elia
- Claudio Chiavetta, Lionbridge
- Christophe Declercq, Imperial College London
- Jorge Diaz-Cintas, ESIST/Imperial College London
- Eyvor Fogarty, FIT
- Michael Fritz, Tekom
- Kim Harris, Gala
- Marie-Pierre Mayar, Institut Marie Haps
- Nino Platteel, Statistician (retired), Dutch National Institute for Statistics
- Mirko Silvestrini, EUATC
- European Commission's DG Translation
Size of the EU language industry – 2009 study – details the industry's rapid growth