Development of multi-annual plans for the management of demersal fisheries in western EU waters
The consultation on the Development of multi-annual plans for the management of demersal fisheries in western EU waters ran from May to September 2015.
Results of consultation and next steps
Summary of results [230 KB]
Number of responses received to this consultation
View the contributions
In the interests of transparency, organisations have been invited to provide the public with relevant information about themselves by registering in the Transparency Register and subscribing to its Code of Conduct. If the organisation is not registered, the submission is published separately from the registered organisations.
Objective of the consultation
The current initiative was intended to contribute to delivering directly on the achievement of the Common Fisheries Policy, in particular the long term sustainability of the stocks and the implementation of an ecosystem-based approach to fisheries management, through the achievement of the following specific objectives:
- To achieve that fish stocks concerned are restored above levels that can produce maximum sustainable yields (MSY) as soon as possible, or by 2020 at the latest.
- To ensure high and sustainable yields for the fishing industry, while taking in to account mixed fisheries interactions, interactions with the marine ecosystem and the obligation to land all catches of fish.
- To ensure that the relevant stocks are maintained within safe biological limits, and that stocks outside of safe biological limits are brought within those limits as rapidly as possible.
- To minimize unwanted catches in order to make it easier for the fishing industry to implement the obligation to land all catches introduced in the reformed CFP.
- To establish the framework necessary for the implementation of regionalisation in the long-term management of the relevant stocks.
View the consultation document
- Consultation document [40 KB]
- Information on landing obligation
- Information on regionalisation
- Regulation (EU) No 1380/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2013 on the Common Fisheries Policy, amending Council Regulations (EC) No 1954/2003 and (EC) No 1224/2009 and repealing Council Regulations (EC) No 2371/2002 and (EC) No 639/2004 and Council Decision 2004/585/EC
- Task Force agreement on multiannual plans (Final report April 2014 )
- STECF advice on area definitions for the management plans
European Commission, Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Directorate C: Atlantic, Outermost Regions and Arctic
Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
Directorate C: Atlantic, Outermost Regions and Arctic
Specific privacy statement [18 KB]