Consultation on the possible revision of the Fishing Authorisation Regulation (FAR)
In April 2013 the European Commission launched a consultation on the possible revision of the Fishing Authorisation Regulation (FAR).
The consultation was closed on 19 July 2013.
Objective of the consultation
The aim of this consultation was the possible revision of the Council Regulation (EC) No 1006/2008, of 29 September 2008, concerning authorisations for fishing activities of Community fishing vessels outside Community waters and the access of third country vessels to Community waters, amending Regulation (EEC) No 2847/93 and (EC) No 1627/94 and repealing Regulation (EC) No 3317/94.
The main objective of this revision was to strengthen and simplify the existing legal framework, in consistency with control and IUU policies, and address key issues such as repetitive reflagging and regulating private fishing arrangements of the EU fleet outside EU waters.
Therefore, the update of the framework for EU vessels fishing outside European waters would ensure better coherence between the EU Common Fisheries Policy and its external dimension.
Some key concrete objectives in the revision of this legal framework:
- Comprehensive: Completing the scope of the FAR to cover all cases which may require fishing authorisations, for EU vessels outside EU waters, and thus setting a level-playing field and creating transparency.
- Simpler: The current system is complex. Simplifying and clarifying the distribution of tasks between the Commission and Member States' authorities with the intention to cut red tape and administrative burden and costs, where possible.
- Consistent: Ensuring full consistency with the EU legal framework regarding the fight against IUU and control of fishing activities.
Consultation document [185 KB]
- Council Regulation (EC) No 1006/2008 of 29 September 2008 concerning authorisations for fishing activities of Community fishing vessels outside Community waters and the access of third country vessels to Community waters, amending Regulations (EEC) No 2847/93 and (EC) No 1627/94 and repealing Regulation (EC) No 3317/94
- COM(2011) 424 final; Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions on external dimension of the common fisheries policy
Number of responses received
Results of consultation and next steps
Not yet available
Privacy statement [17 KB]