Small-scale driftnet fisheries
In March 2013 the European Commission launched a consultation on the small-scale driftnet fisheries. The consultation was closed on 15 September 2013.
Contributions were submitted by using an online questionnaire and additional information could be sent by e-mail.
Objective of the consultation
To help the Commission:
- to get an overview of the small-scale driftnet fisheries sector
- to decide whether and how to review implementation of EU rules for this sector
Current EU legal framework on driftnet were laid down in 1998, to prevent overfishing of certain fish species such as tuna and swordfish and reduce the negative impact on marine mammals, sea turtles and other protected species.
There are no plans to change the rules themselves, which are in line with relevant UN resolutions and regional measures. But changing how they are implemented could make them more effective.
In particular, the Commission wanted to assess what impact driftnets still have on prohibited and protected species.
More on this consultation
Consultation document [483 KB]
- Reform of EU common fisheries policy
- UN resolution on driftnets 44/225 (1989)
- UN resolution on driftnets 45/197 (1990)
- UN resolution on driftnets 46/215 (1991)
- EU regulation 894/97 on conservation of fishery resources (technical measures)
- EU regulation 1239/98 amending Regulation 894/97
- EU regulation 809/2007 amending legislation on driftnets
- EU directive 2008/56/EC – Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- EU directive 92/43/EEC on conservation of natural habitats, wild fauna & flora
- EU action plan for reducing incidental catches of seabirds in fishing gears
- EU communication - Cetacean incidental catches in Fisheries
- EU communication on the implementation of certain provisions of Council Regulation (EC) No 812/2004 laying down measures concerning incidental catches of cetaceans in fisheries and amending Regulation (EC) No 88/98
- GFCM (General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean) – Recommendations: see Recommendation GFCM/2005/3 on selected ICCAT Recommendations
- ICCAT recommendation on Mediterranean Swordfish
- IOTC (Indian Ocean Tuna Commission) – Resolution 12/12 to ban large-scale driftnets
- WCPFC (Western & central Pacific Fisheries Commission) – ban on large-scale driftnets
Number of responses received
Contributions will be published on this website under your name or the name of your organisation – unless you object that revealing your identity would damage your legitimate interests. In that case the contribution may be published anonymously.
Results of consultation and next steps
Not yet available
Privacy statement [75 KB]