About the Legal Service
Activities of the Legal Service
- The Commission’s legal adviser
- The Commission’s legal representative
- Helping to improve the quality of drafting of Community legislation
When the Court of Justice or the General Court of the European Union gives an important judgment, the Commission publishes a press release about it. These press releases are uploaded to the Rapid database. The Commission Spokesman may also comment on these judgments at the weekly press briefing, which is broadcast live on Europe by Satellite with a summary in the Midday Express.
The following are a few of the press releases published by the Commission after recent judgments:
- The Commission welcomes the delivery of the Court of Justice's opinion on the compatibility of the envisaged agreement on the Patent Court with the EU Treaties
Press release IP/11/269 following the delivery of the Court's Opinion 1/09 on 8 March 2011
- Sex Discrimination in Insurance Contracts: Statement by Vice-President Viviane Reding on the Court of Justice's ruling in the Test-Achats case
Press release MEMO/11/123 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 1 March 2011 in Case C-236/09 Association belge des Consommateurs Test-Achats
- The Commission welcomes Court ruling confirming Member States' discretion to determine free to view sporting events
Press release MEMO/11/94 following the General Court's rulings given on 17 February 2011 in Cases T-385/07 and T-68/08 FIFA v Commission, and in Case T-55/08 UEFA v Commission
- The Court confirms that spring hunting in Malta is in breach of EU law
Press release IP/09/1301 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 10 September 2009 in Case C-76/08 Commission v Malta
- The Commission welcomes the Court's decision on air passenger
Press release IP/08/2058 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 22 December 2008 in Case C-549/07 Wallentin-Hermann v Alitalia
- Court orders ban on spring hunting of migratory birds in
Press release IP/08/647 following decision by the Court of Justice on 24 April 2008 in Case C-76/08 R Commission v Malta
- Air transport: Commission takes note of today's Court judgment in
the Olympic file
Press release IP/08/242 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 14 February 2008 in Case C-419/06 Commission v Greece
- Antitrust: Commission welcomes CFI ruling upholding Commission’s
decision on Microsoft's abuse of dominant market position.
Press release MEMO/07/359 following judgment given by the Court of First Instance on 17 September 2007 in Case T-201/04 Microsoft v Commission
- Air passengers’ rights: The European Court of Justice confirms
legality of EU rules.
Press release IP/06/12 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 10 January 2006 in Case C-344/04 International Air Transport Association
- Court of Justice annuls Council Framework Decision on the
protection of the environment through criminal law, adopted outside the
Community legislative framework.
Press release IP/05/1136 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 13 September 2005 in Case C-176/03 Commission v Council
- Commission welcomes Court ruling on continued failure by France to
comply with fisheries obligations.
Press release IP/05/917 following judgment given by the Court of Justice on 12 July 2005 in Case C-304/02 Commission v France
Last updated on 30.05.2013