Luis Romero Requena, Director-General of the Legal Service
About the Legal Service
Activities of the Legal Service
- The Commission’s legal adviser
- The Commission’s legal representative
- Helping to improve the quality of drafting of Community legislation
The European Commission’s Legal Service
The Legal Service is an internal department of the Commission reporting directly to the President of the Commission.
The role of the Legal Service is twofold:
- to provide legal advice to the Commission and its services, and
- to represent the Commission in all court cases.
The provision of legal advice ensures the legality of the Commission's decisions. It is of vital importance in preventing or reducing the risk of subsequent litigation.
The Legal Service’s role as agent of the Commission in court is comparable to the traditional role of legal counsel. The Legal Service is the in-house counsel to the Commission. Most of the cases are before the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg.
Last updated on 29.03.2012