Nicosia (CY) - 13/12/12
Conference Scientific Support to Innovation in the Services Sector
New innovative services can transform and vitalise the economy. Services are at the heart of the European Union and its Single Market and a dynamic services market generates jobs and growth. As services account for about two thirds of employment and GDP in Europe, innovation in the services sector is of key importance. Scientific developments promote innovation in the services sectors and foster the exploitation of new technologies, new markets or new organisational structures.
The Cyprus Presidency conference Scientific Support to Innovation in the Services Sector on 13 December 2012 will provide a forum to debate how scientific advice can best contribute to robust policy frameworks for innovation in the services sector. The objective will be to discuss how development in innovations in services can support the enhancement of European competitiveness and economic growth, as well as tackle the adverse effects of the economic crisis. The conference will be attended by policy makers and officials from Member States, the European Commission and science organisations, which support policies.
The conference is organised by the European Commission's science service, the Joint Research Centre, and the Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus. The event is under the auspices of the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the European Union 2012.
Hilton Park Hotel, Nicosia, Cyprus
Programme and speakers
Presentations and speeches
- The Role of Standardisation and Regulatory Harmonisation - Andreea Gulacsi, CEN-CENELEC
- Measuring the performance of services - Daniel Vertesy, European Commission, Joint Research Centre
- Unlocking the Potential for Jobs and Growth - Domenico Rossetti di Valdalbero, European Commission, Directorate General Research and Innovation
- Innovation Policy for Growth: Why services are a key part of the big picture - Dr. Bertrand Wert, European Commission, Directorate General Enterprise and Industry
- Innovation in Health Services Provision: Mainstreaming Integrated Care in Europe - Ioannis Maghiros, European Commission, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies
- Scientific Support to Innovation in Services - Jocelyne Gaudin, Head of Unit, Scientific support to Innovation Union, Foresight and International Relations
- EU Services policy: Scientific support to innovation in the services sector - Florence François-Poncet, European Commission, Directorate General Internal Market & Services, Business-to-Consumer Services
- Unlocking the Potential of Innovation in the Service Sector in Cyprus - Marios Tsiakkis, Deputy Secretary General of the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI)
- From Words to Deeds: Unlocking the Potential of Innovation In the Services Sector - Costas Christofides, Assistant Director General of the Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (OEB)
- Scientific Support to Innovation in the services sector - Prof. Philippos C. Patsalis, Chief Executive Director, NIPD Genetics