Ispra (IT) - 05/07/11 - 08/07/11
International Summer School / 3rd Edition - Operational Issues in Radioactive Waste Management and Nuclear Decommissioning
On 5-8 July 2011, the JRC Ispra site will host the 3rd Edition of the International Summer School dedicated to management and decommissioning of nuclear waste. Organised in co-operation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the Milan State University (Università degli Studi di Milano) and the International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA), the three-day school will welcome up to 100 participants, along with prominent nuclear experts.
As the first generation of nuclear power plants approaches the end of its operational life, ensuring an effective decommissioning process and sustainable management of the produced waste is of vital importance. From a technical point of view, it is fundamental to track and analyse the course of radioactive waste since its creation, in order to manage it safely for the workers, the public and the environment.
This year, the course will be organised around seven technical sessions and it will feature detailed presentations on different operational approaches, such as:
- Facility characterization and fuel removal
- Plant decontamination & dismantling techniques, issues and operational solutions
- Stakeholders' involvement in waste management and decommissioning
- Hands-on visit to JRC WM facilities
- Seminar: Final radiological survey
- Operational Decommissioning Experience in Europe
- Radiation Protection issues and practices
- Waste management facilities needed in a decommissioning and waste management programme
Additionally, the programme will feature a specific session, enabling hands-on visits to JRC-Ispra radioactive waste management facilities, where participants will be invited to assist in some real measurements.
To register, please visit the Summer School's website registration page.