EU-Belgium pavilion at Shanghai World Expo 2010 (artist's impression)
Shanghai (CN) - 18/06/10
JRC - China research collaboration
In the frame of the World Expo 2010, taking place in Shanghai from May to October 2010, the JRC and its partners - including the Chinese Academy of Science, Tongji University, China Atomic Energy Agency – have presented and debated ongoing research in the fields of disaster management and nuclear energy. The event was opened by Stephan Lechner, Director of the JRC Institute for Protection and Security of the Citizen, and Guo Huadong, Director General of the Centre for Earth Observation and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences and addressed an audience of 150 distinguished participants from research bodies, industry and government agencies.
Nuclear safety and security
Building on an expanding cooperation in this field, speakers from China and from the JRC shared their views and recent research results in the fields of nuclear security as well as safety of current and future nuclear power plants.
China and Euratom have recently signed an agreement on nuclear research in which they agreed to collaborate on all issues concerning the peaceful use of nuclear energy. In addition, they are both Members of the Generation IV International Forum. Furthermore, China and EU are among the few major actors in nuclear security, and enhanced co-operation is expected in this field as well.
Disaster risk mitigation and response
The speakers in this session discussed how the EU-China cooperation is contributing towards increased societal resilience by means of new approaches in the areas of seismic vulnerability of structures and construction standards, as well as new methodologies for analysing data from satellite sensors for disaster risk assessment and for post-disaster damage assessment to support reconstruction planning and recovery. An intense debate focused on the valuable lessons that researchers and government agencies have learned from the disastrous Wen Chuan earthquake of 2008.
- Programme: JRC - China research collaboration - Shanghai Expo - 18 June 2010
- Programme: EU-China Science & Technology Week, Shanghai World Expo, 14-19 June 2010
- Presentation: Stephan Lechner – The European Commission's Joint Research Centre
- Presentation: SONG Gongbao – International collaboration for peaceful use of nuclear energy
- Presentation: Klaus Lützenkirchen – The nuclear R&D programme of the JRC
- Presentation: ZHU Zhixuan – Nuclear security
- Presentation: Vesselina Ranguelova – Innovative reactor systems and safe operation of current nuclear power plants (EU research)
- Presentation: CHENG Xu – Safety of nuclear power plants
- Presentation: GUO Huadong – Natural Disaster Mitigation - A scientific and practical approach
- Presentation: ZHAO Bin – State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University
- Presentation: Artur Pinto – Standards in construction
- Presentation: LU Wensheng – Seismic energy dissipation and damage control of building structures in recent years
- Presentation: Martino Pesaresi – Urban Analysis and Post Disaster Needs Assessment - An Earth Observation based contribution