Brussels (BE) - 25/04/13
JRC round table: Scientific support to key enabling technologies and innovative smes
Europe 2020 strategy focuses on the capacity of the European economy to foster growth and create jobs, especially through the Innovation Union Flagship initiative. Moreover since 2009 the EU has emphasised the importance of the development and industrial deployment of Key Enabling Technologies (KETs), in particular the six KETs: micro/nano electronics, nanotechnology, photonics, advanced materials, industrial biotechnology, advanced manufacturing technologies.
It is also to be noted that progress in quantum science will influence the development of KETs and the work of various industries using KETs such as for example microelectronics and photonics.
Against this backdrop, innovative Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) can play an important role in the development of KETs in various industrial sectors, e.g. the sectors of Health, Energy and Industrial Equipment.
The first objective of the event will be to identify how KETs can best contribute to the competitiveness of three specific sectors of Health, Energy and Industrial Equipment. In addition the event will aim to identify the scientific support that SMEs need in order to integrate KETs in their innovation and business strategy.
Participants from academia, business (including SMEs), innovation intermediaries (i.e. Science Parks) and policy-making bodies will discuss how collaboration between science and business, academia and industry can strengthen the role of KETs in the development of the EU industry, especially SMEs.
→ Download the Agenda (Latest version: 06/05/2013)
- Key Enabling Technologies: Implementing Status Update, Gabriel Crean, High-Level Group on KETs, Vice-President for Technology in the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA)
Session I - INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT Sector - Scientific Support to KETs and Innovative SMEs
- Importance of KETs for the competitiveness of the EU machine tool industry, Gökalp Gümüşdere, European Policy Advisor, CECIMO (European Machine Tool industry)
- ‘Factories of the Future’ PPP & the European Equipment Sector & Key Enabling Technologies, Massimo Mattucci, Chairman of EFFRA, Member of the High Level Group on KETs
- The IASP in a few slides, Josep Piqué, President of the European Division of the International Association of Science Parks and Areas of Innovation (IASP)
- Overcoming critical gaps in the innovation value chain, Peter Heydebreck, Executive Board Member of Inno AG
- 2nd Quantum Revolution - Quantum Enabled Security Solutions, Gregoire Ribordy, CEO of ID Quantique
- Equipment: Quantum Processors, Rainer Blatt, Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Innsbruck University
Session II - ENERGY Sector - Scientific Support to KETs and Innovative SMEs
- French SMEs access to innovation and KETs for Energy Efficiency in the building sector, Germain Adell, European Project Manager at NOBATEK, French Association of Technological Resource Centres (AFCRT)
- The energy field as a major area for KETs in the future - “The right side of the bridge for KETs”, Wolfgang Eichhammer, Head of Competence Center Energy Policy and Energy Markets, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI
- Clusters and Innovative SMEs, Jean Noël Durvy, Director-General, Sophia Antipolis Foundation
Session III - HEALTH Sector - Scientific Support to KETs and Innovative SMEs
- HEALTH Sector - Scientific Support to KETs and Innovative SMEs, Renzo Dal Molin, Director of Advanced Research for SORIN CRM
- Nanomedicine Support to KETs and Innovative SMEs - Recommendations from the Nanomedicine Community for implementation in Horizon 2020, Nicolas Gouze, General Secretary of The European Technology Platform on Nanomedicine
- JRC Scientific Support to Key Enabling Technologies and innovative SMEs, Maria Pilar Aguar Fernandez, Head of Unit at the Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Science Parks as Innovation Platforms, Märit Johansson, CEO of Karolinska Institutet Science Park