Tunis (TN) - 22/09/13 - 25/09/13
Economic and rural development in Africa: from data to policy impacts
The African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) is organising its 4th Congress in Tunisia, from 22-25 September. This AAAE flagship conference usually attracts about 500 experts from around the world in the field of agricultural and applied economics (http://www.aaae-africa.org).
The JRC's Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS) has been invited to organise a half-day session which will focus on the support that analytical and scientific research can provide to policy makers in the areas of agriculture, trade, markets and development, focusing on Africa's challenges and real case scenarios. The JRC will explain its research strategy to delegates and will present the iMAP (Integrated Modelling Platform for Agro-economic Commodity and Policy Analysis). This platform was developed and is managed in-house to make projections and to contrast different outlooks for production, consumption, prices, exports, and imports of different regions as well as to perform analysis on key agri-economic issues such as global food security, bio-economics or sustainable development.
Delegates will also have the opportunity to learn about other on-going projects in which JRC expertise for policy-support has recently been used, such as the initiatives for strengthening statistical capacities in Africa (African Development Bank); the European strategy for challenging global food security (the European Commission's Directorate–General for Development and Cooperation (EuropeAid); the agri-food trade integration in the Euro-Med area (research partners from Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey) and the improved knowledge on food security and rural poverty alleviation in the context of farm household modelling (research partner from Sierra Leone).
- An integrated Modelling Platform for Agro-economic Commodity and Policy Analysis (iMAP)
- DataM - Data on Agriculture, Trade and Models; a tool for flexible management, extension and integration of (model) databases
- Economic Growth in the Euro-Med area through Trade Integration: Focus on Agriculture and Food (forthcoming series publication, fall 2013)
- Modelling Agri-Food Policy Impact at Farm-household Level in Developing Countries (FSSIM-Dev): Application to Sierra Leone
- Partial stochastic analysis with the European Commission's version of the AGLINK-COSIMO model
- Upcoming International Conference on Agricultural Statistics ICAS 2013
- 4th Congress of the African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE)
- Agenda of the session