The JRC is expanding its research collaboration with Malta
St Julians (MT) - 20/11/09
JRC Open Day in Malta
On the occasion of a joint event organised by the JRC in cooperation with the Malta Council for Science and Technology (MCST), the two organisations signed a Memorandum of Understanding on intensified research cooperation. Areas of such collaboration have been identified on the basis of mutual interest and include environment, biotechnology, information and communication technologies (ICT), energy, food safety and maritime affairs.
Both organisations have also agreed to host Maltese doctoral and post doctoral students in the various JRC Research Institutes. Candidates for grants funded by Malta's national programmes will be nominated by MCST or the University of Malta, and pre-selected candidates will be approved by the JRC. Maltese candidates to the EU grants will need to follow the common JRC grants procedures or apply for a Marie Curie fellowship.
Presentations given at the event
- The Joint Research Centre (JRC): robust science for policy making , Dr Roland Schenkel, Director-General, JRC, EC
- Introduction to the National R&I Ecosystem , Dr Ing. Nicholas J. Sammut, Chairperson, MCST
- Outstanding Past, Bright Future , Professor Richard Muscat, Pro-Rector, University of Malta
- Recent Developments in Vocational Education , Professor Maurice Grech, Principal & CEO, Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology
- The Institute for Environment and Sustainability , Prof. Dr. Leen Hordijk, JRC-IES, Director
- Health, Biotechnology and Consumer Protection: A Snapshot on JRC Activities , Professor Elke Anklam, JRC-IHCP, Director
- Joint Research Centre – Institute for Energy , Dr. G.F. De Santi, JRC-IE, Director