Consumer affairs consultations
Consumer protection in third-pillar retirement products
Policy: Consumer protection / Financial services / Pensions
Consultation period:Consultation period is closed
- Public authorities
- Financial industry
- Non-financial businesses and business organisations
- Trade unions
- Civil society representatives and NGOs
Purpose and scope
- Identify specific problems encountered by consumers in the area of third-pillar retirement products (personal pension schemes).
- Steer the debate towards identifying optimal ways of addressing some of the specificities in this field.
- Use the collected information to develop a genuine, consumer-friendly Single Market for personal pension schemes.
Submitting your contribution
European Commission Directorate General Health and Consumers Unit B4 – Financial services and redress B-1049 - Belgium
- To support ongoing measures on pensions in line with the Europe 2020 strategy, the 2012 White Paper on pensions outlined an agenda at EU level for ensuring that pensions are efficient, adequate and sustainable.
- Complementary retirement savings (including third-pillar retirement products) will play a greater role in reducing the burden on public pension schemes and increasing pensioner income.
- One of the actions of the 2012 White Paper on pensions aims to raise the quality of third pillar retirement products by improving consumer information and protection standards.