|Co-ordinated enforcement action leads to greater compliance with Consumer Rights on travel websites
In a concerted action by national consumer authorities co-ordinated by the European Commission an astonishing 382 out of Europe's 552 most popular websites offering air travel or accomodation checked in 2013 did not respect European consumer law. As a result of vigorous enforcement action, 62% of the websites checked are now treating consumers as they should. The remaining 38% can expect further action against them as European authorities continue work to ensure that consumer rights are fully respected.
|EU Food Safety and Nutrition Policy in 2050 - scenarios for the future
The Directorate-General for Health and Consumers has published a foresight analysis "Delivering on EU Food Safety and Nutrition in 2050 - Scenarios of future change and policy responses". It is a first step of the Foresight Project for future food policy development. The study identifies the main future challenges and consequences for the EU food legislative framework.
|Discover the winners of the EU Health Prize for Journalists 2013
The winners were Henk Blanken (Netherlands), Christiane Hawranek and Marco Maurer (Germany), and Mette Dahlgaard (Denmark).
|Building a Better Europe for consumers
In the report on implementation of the European Union’s Consumer Agenda, published on 7 April, the European Commission shows the progress made in 4 areas. The areas cover: improving consumer safety, increasing people's awareness about their rights as consumers, improved enforcement of existing rules, the adoption of new laws to safeguard the consumer interest across policy areas.
|EU challenges Russia in the WTO over pork import ban
The EU today (8 April 2014) launched a case in the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against the Russian ban on imports of pigs, fresh pork and certain pig products from the EU, which has exposed the EU farming sector to significant losses. Russia based its ban on four isolated cases of African swine fever (ASF) detected in wild boar at the Lithuanian and Polish borders with Belarus.