New Commissioner for Consumer Affairs from January 2007
- Bulgarian Minister for European Affairs
- Born on 22 June 1957 in Sofia.
- Master’s degree in Law.
- Meglena Kuneva graduated from the Faculty of Law at Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski in 1981; awarded PhD in Law in 1984.
- She specialized in a number of universities abroad: International Relations and Environmental Law at Georgetown University, Washington, USA, 1995 and 1999-2000; Human Rights at Human Rights Institute, Turku, Finnland, 1993; Environmental Law at Oxford, UK, 1996.
- Assistant professor at the Faculty of Law, Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski from 1988 to 1989, and lecturer at the Free University of Burgas and the New Bulgarian University, 1992-1994.
- Editor and presenter at the Bulgarian National Radio, January 1987-April 1991.
- As a senior legal advisor at the Council of Ministers, 1990-2001, she participated in the drafting of a series of Bulgarian laws in Environment, Access to Information, etc.
- A member of the Bulgarian delegation to the 4th Session of UN Commission on Sustainable Development, 1995.
- Mrs. Kuneva was elected Member of Parliament in the 39th National Assembly, in June 2001, and appointed Deputy Minister and Bulgaria’s Chief Negotiator with the EU at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, August 2001.
- She was appointed Minister of European Affairs and Bulgaria’s Chief Negotiator with the EU and a special representative of the Bulgarian government at the Convention for the Future of Europe, May 2002.
- Awarded the French Order of the Legion of Honour by French Minister of European Affairs Noelle Lenoir, on behalf of President of France Jacques Chirac, 2004
- Awarded the Order for Civil Merit of the Kingdom of Spain, Order Prince Henry of the Republic of Portugal, as well as the Order of the Star of Italian Solidarity.
- Member of the following organizations:
- Berlin Conference on European Cultural Policy, trustee
- Fluent in English, French and Russian.
- Married, with one son.