Public Health (11-05-2006)
Updated : European Commission launches new Health Portal
The European Commission launched yesterday the “Health-EU Portal” - a gateway to simple and sound information on 47 health-related topics. It is aimed at citizens, patients, healthcare professionals and scientists alike. The launch event took place in Malaga, Spain, within the Commission-sponsored “eHealth” conference. Web surfers now have access to over 5,700 links to reliable health sources. The Portal will be available in all 20 official EU languages by the end of June 2006.
The forty-seven health-related topics are divided into six thematic areas:
- “My Health” – e.g. women’s health, people with disabilities, babies and children
- “My Lifestyle” – e.g. nutrition, drugs, tobacco, sports and leisure, travel advice
- “My Environment” – e.g. at home, road safety, consumer rights
- “Health Problems” – e.g. cancer, mental health, cardiovascular diseases
- “Care for Me” – e.g. long term care, insurance, mobility, medicines
- “Health in the EU” – e.g. research, indicators, statistics.
Window to the world
The Portal provides information from and links to:
- The European Commission
- European agencies (e.g. those working on communicable diseases, drug prevention, medicines and health and safety at work)
- Member States’ health and health-related departments
- European NGOs
- International organisations
Visitors will also find facts about the latest events, statistics, health indicators, news, legislation and publications.
An Editorial Board composed of Commission services and Member States representatives will oversee the ongoing content development of the Portal to make sure it is always up to date.
The address of the Health-EU Portal is: http://health.europa.eu
To read more about the Portal in all 20 EU official languages, please click on the links below: