Rapex Weekly Report
RAPEX is the EU rapid alert system for all dangerous consumer products, with the exception of food, pharmaceutical and medical products. It allows for the rapid exchange of information between Member States and the Commission with regard to items posing a potential serious risk to the health and safety of consumers and measures taken by Member States to prevent, restrict or impose specific conditions on the marketing of these products. The revised General Product Safety Directive, which entered into force in January 2004, requires the Commission to publish a weekly report on serious RAPEX notifications to allow the general public access to product safety information.
This week’s RAPEX report consists of: 9 electric items, 1 candle, 1 firework, 1 cosmetic item, 1 laser, 1 gas item, 3 cooking appliances, and 2 toys. The items listed are:
1. Electric: Lighting chain with flashing unit and 100 minature lights
2. Electric: Cord extension with 3 sockets and earth contact “Eumig”
3. Electric: Portable desk lamp with a metal cover
4. Electric: Snail- formed luminaire “Tiffany”
5. Electric: Night luminaire with built –in plug and lamp shade bearing animal figures
6. Electric: “Disco Light”
7. Electric: Toaster
8. Electric: Fan “Watton”
9. Electric: Hairdryer
10. Candle: Pernod Ricard gel candle
11. Cosmetics: Skin-lightening smoothing cream “Clear Essence”
12. Laser: “2 in 1 sound & laser pointer key chain”
13. Fireworks: Fireworks rockets
14. Gas: Novelty lighter in the shape of a gun “007 James bond”
15. Cooking appliance: Barbecue “Fantom”
16. Cooking appliance: Barbecue “Tuff”
17. Cooking appliance: Portable hotplate
18. Toy: Pull-along toy “Lovely Duck, Dog, Turtle”
19. Toy: Squeezable Toy Clown
The list above is just an overview of the reported products last week.
Click here for the full details, which can be found in the weekly RAPEX report. It includes detailed information on the products and risks, the notifying MemberState, and the measures adopted to deal with the risk.
The Commission does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided. In the event that further information received from a contact point regarding an already published notification leads to the modification or withdrawal of the information, the Commission will include a corrigendum or notice of withdrawal in the next weekly overview.