Animal Health and Welfare (14-12-2005)
Avian Influenza: Conclusions of Chief Medical Officers and Chief Veterinary Officers meeting
- Awareness campaigns on detecting and dealing with avian influenza for all poultry keepers
- Continued coordinated efforts between the Commission and MemberStates in addressing the threats of avian and human influenza, to ensure that the most appropriate response is taken immediately in line with developments in the situation
- The improvement of EU and national preparedness plans in line with the recent Commission Communications on generic and pandemic influenza preparedness, taking into account lesson learned through the pandemic simulation exercise carried out at the end of November
- Further support for research and technological development with the aim of increasing knowledge on avian and human influenza and building up effective tools to tackle them
- Sustained efforts by the Commission to help in coordinating a global response to avian influenza and a possible human pandemic, as well as providing assistance to affected and at-risk developing countries.