Toolkit for intercultural dialogue
We need intercultural skills to be able to engage in a meaningful dialogue with others. Among these skills, communication in foreign languages, social and civic competences, and cultural awareness and expression are essential bridge-builders between people from different cultural, ethnic, religious and linguistic backgrounds.
Here is a list of tools and publications prepared by national ministries or departments, as well as civil society bodies during the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue. They remain topical and useful for pedagogical purposes, be it in schools, at the workplace or simply in public spaces where dialogue most often happens.
- An education toolkit for the European Year of Intercultural Dialogue 2008, edited by NCCRI, (The National Consultative Committee on Racism and Interculturalism), Ireland, 2008
- 44 Ideias Simples para promover a tolêrancia e celebrar a diversidade, edited by ACIDI, (Alto Comissariado para a Imigração e o Diálogo Intercultural) Portugal, 2008
- Uma escola, uma sala interculturais, edited by Secretariado Entreculturas, Portugal, 2008
- Um livro, uma história interculturais, edited by ACIME (Alto Comissariado para a Imigração e Minorias Étnicas), Portugal, 2008
- SPICES Guideline - a training method for intercultural communication in institutional setting, edited by an international team of researchers, 2007
- Mathias and Amadou, an educational game about development and aid in Africa!
- Education and migration. Strategies for integrating migrant children in European schools and societies, Report submitted to the European Commission by the NESSE network of experts, 2008
- Building Integrated Neighbourhoods. Towards an intercultural approach to housing policy and practice in Ireland, Commissioned and Published by the National Consultative Committee on Racism and Interculturalism (NCCRI), Ireland, 2008
- Continuing the Diversity Journey. Business Practices, Perspectives and Benefits, European Commission, 2008
- Our Shared Europe. Swapping treasures, Sharing losses, Celebrating futures, by Ehsan Masood, published by the British Council, 2008
- White Paper on Intercultural Dialogue “Living Together As Equals in Dignity”, Council of Europe, 2008(link to file White_Paper_CoE.pdf)
- Dialogue interculturel et diversité culturelle – un débat renouvelé. Synthèse du colloque de lancement de l'Année Européenne du Dialogue Interculturel 2008 en France