Submitting a proposal for European Capital of Culture
Interested cities in the host country have approximately 10 months to submit an initial application.
An information day is organised – by host countries with the European Commission – to enable cities to find out more about the objectives of the European Capital of Culture initiative, the application procedure, the selection procedure and selection criteria.
Launching the call for applications
The call for submission of applications will mention:
- the precise deadline for submitting proposals (no more than 10 months from publication of the call)
- the authority in charge of organising the competition (usually the Ministry of Culture)
- practical arrangements concerning submission of proposals
Submission of applications
Following publication of the call for submission of applications by the host country, cities wishing to take part in the competition:
- must complete and submit a Proposed Application form (updated)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Please see the english version above. (The other linguistic versions have not been updated yet)
- may also submit further details in free format, to accompany the answers given in the form. This file should contain only essential information directly related to the proposed programme for the year, as the panel in charge of assessing the proposals has only a limited amount of time to examine all applications.
It is recommended that the Proposed Application and the application file are drawn up in one or more of the 23 EU official languages, one of these being English, so that all panel members can read them
For the pre-selection phase, the Proposed Application and accompanying file should give:
- an overview of the proposed programme for the year in question
- information about how the year will be managed (governance)
- a budget for the event.
Some of the questions in the Proposed Application are optional at the pre-selection stage – but compulsory at the selection stage.
The cities selected at the end of the pre-selection phase will have to build on these documents and form a more complete application for the final selection phase. Nevertheless the basis of the programme must retain much of proposal presented at the pre-selection stage.