The Resolution adopted by the European Parliament in May 2011 on the cultural dimensions of the EU external action calls for the development of a common EU strategy on culture in the EU external relations. The European Parliament also voted a budget of 500 000 EUR for a “preparatory action” in this field.
The European Commission has commissioned a consortium of cultural institutes and organisations led by the Goethe Institute to carry out this preparatory action.
The consortium has been tasked with:
• mapping existing resources, approaches and strategies regarding culture in external relations in EU countries and in a number of strategic partner countries;
• consulting stakeholders inside and outside the EU to collect views and positions on this topic;
• organising a conference in mid-2014 to draw conclusions and recommendations for a strategic approach to culture in EU external relations.
This initiative covers 54 countries:
• the EU Member States,
• the Neighbouring countries of the EU: Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, Occupied Palestinian Territory, Syria, Tunisia, Ukraine
• the 10 strategic partners of the EU: Brazil, Canada, China, India, Japan, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, South Korea and the United States of America.