There are many consumer organisations in Europe of different size,
background and capacity depending on national history and conditions.
You will find detailed information about national consumer organisations in each
country profile currently available.
These country profiles contain, in addition to the
list of national consumer organisations at national level, information on:
- criteria allowing to determine what is a consumer organisation at national level;
- form of public funding of consumer organisations;
- forums or bodies bringing together consumer organisations and public authorities;
- national policies relating to consumer organisations.
European Consumers' Organisations are federations of national consumer organisations from the EU. They
make the voice of the European consumer heard and try to influence, in the consumer interest, the development of EU policy
and to promote and defend the interests of all European consumers.
At present, two European organisations are eligible for receiving Community funding to help them to
carry out their activities: ANEC and BEUC. The criteria for funding are to be found in Article 7 of decision No 20/2004/EC.
European Association for the Co-ordination of Consumer Representation in Standardisation (ANEC)
- ANEC is the European consumer voice in standardisation, representing and defending consumer
interests in the process of standardisation and certification, also in policy and legislation related to
Avenue de Tervuren 32, box 27
Tel: + 32 2 743 24 70
Fax: + 32 2 706 54 30
Bureau Européen des Unions des Consommateurs (BEUC)
- BEUC defends and promotes the interests of European consumers as purchasers or users of goods
and services - in the EU policy process. BEUC and its members in 24 member states together develop policy positions
that form the basis of their campaigning. They contribute expertise on issues that have direct economic or legal
consequences for consumers or that impact consumer health, safety and environment.
Avenue de Tervuren 36, box 4
Tel: + 32 2 743 15 90
Fax: + 32 2 740 28 02
Other Organisations working on the promotion of consumer interests
- Confédération des Organisations familiales de la Communauté Européenne (COFACE)
Rue de Londres, 17
Tel: + 32 2 511 41 79
Fax: + 32 2 514 47 73
- Communauté Européenne des Coopératives (Euro Coop) - European Community of Consumer Coopératives
Rue Archimède, 17
Tel: + 32 2 285 00 70
Fax: + 32 2 231 07 57
Back to top
Last Updated: 26-09-2006