European Contract Law: Better Lawmaking through the Common Frame of Reference
On 26 September 2005, the European Commission and the United Kingdom Government, as part of its Presidency of the Council of the European Union, jointly hosted a conference on the theme of "European Contract Law: Better Lawmaking through the Common Frame of Reference." The event took place at the Mansion House, the Lord Mayor of London's official residence, in the City of London.
The event was the inaugural meeting of the European Discussion Forum on contract law as envisaged in the 2004 Communication, et a permis de rassembler les experts du CFR-net et le réseau d'experts de Etats and brought together the CFR-net and the network of Member States experts, Ministers, senior officials and Members of the European Parliament taking part.
Working sessions focused on how to better meet the needs of stakeholders in the process as well as current relevant issues of the CFR work and the review of the acquis. Furthermore, the conference provided an opportunity to gather some first reactions to the First Annual Progress Report on European Contract Law and the Acquis Review.
- Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC, Constitutional Affairs Secretary and Lord Chancellor - Opening Speech
- Markos Kyprianou, Commissioner for Health and Consumer Protection - Inaugural Speech
- Baroness Ashton of Upholland, Parliamentary Under Secretary at the Department for Constitutional Affairs - Closing remarks
Contributions from panellists
- Antonio D'Amato , Appeal Court Judge, Head of Secretariat of Senator Pasquale Giuliano, Secretary of State, Italian Ministry of Justice
- Dr Péter Gárdos , Adviser of the Commissioner to the Minister of Justice on the Codification of the new Civil Code, Ministry of Justice of Hungary
- Jim Murray , Director of the European Consumer Organisation
- Manuel Cavaleiro Brandão , First Vice President of the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE)
- Gérard de la Martinière , President of the European Federation of National Insurance Associations (CEA), Chairman of the French Insurance Association (FFSA)
- Jean-François Pons , Director for European and International Affairs, French Banking Federation
- Professor Hugh Beale (1) (2) , member of the Study Group in the CFR research network and former member of the "Lando" Commission on the Principles of European Contract Law
- Paul Keane , Law Society of Ireland
- Michael Patchett-Joyce , General Council of the Bar of England and Wales
- Sarah de Greef , UNICE
- Juan Turró , Federation of European Direct Selling Associations