This site was  archived on 27/06/14
Visit the new website!

Language selector

  Help and adviceslide

Product guarantees
Financial services
Consumer credit
Unfair commercial practices
Help and advice
Learn more

"Who can help me if I have a problem with a trader in another country?"

Michel, who lives in France, ordered a digital camera from a German website. He paid €300 in advance for the camera and was then informed that the German trader had sent the camera through the post. However, the camera never arrived. Michel tried to contact the trader several times but, when he got no response, he turned for help to the European Consumer Centre (ECC) in France. The French ECC liaised with the German online consumer body, which was able to go straight to the trader. As the trader had no proof of postage, he was obliged to provide Michel with a new camera.

Dispute resolution

If you have an unresolved dispute with a trader, do not despair! There are a number of options you can take for advice or help.

Step 1: Seek advice

There are a number of places and organisations you can turn to for advice as a first step:

  1. The national consumer association in your country.
    You can find national consumer organisations here

  2. The European Consumer Centres Network (ECC-Net)

    This network of consumer advice centres helps consumers specifically with cross-border disputes. It was set up in January 2005 by the European Commission in cooperation with the national authorities. The centres give information and advice on problems with shopping across borders and intervene when problems arise.
    Further information: The European Consumer Centres Network (ECC-Net)

  3. FIN-NET: Network for settling cross-border financial disputes out of court

    In 2001, the Commission launched a Europe-wide network for out of court settlement of cross-border financial disputes. This network, called FIN-NET, aims to facilitate out of court resolution of disputes when the consumer and the financial services provider (bank, insurance company, etc.) come from different EU countries. It offers the consumer an alternative way to solve disputes quickly, cheaply and easily, and may reduce his/her need to go to court.
    Further information: FIN-NET: Network for settling cross-border financial disputes out of Court

  4. Solvit: Problem solving in the single market

    Solvit is an online problem-solving network in which the EU countries work together to solve problems caused by the misapplication of single market rules by public authorities. The network deals with cases which include non-recognition of professional qualifications in another country, problems with car registration, residence permits or market access of products.
    Further information: SOLVIT website

Step 2: Take action

If your negotiations with the trader have failed and you wish to take things further, you may consider two possible courses of action:

  1. Taking legal action in the national courts


  2. Alternative dispute resolution (ADR).

    ADRs are schemes set up to help solve disputes without having to go through a costly and time-consuming court procedure. ECCs can give you advice on those ADRs which meet EU standards. Most schemes use a third party, such as an arbitrator, mediator or ombudsman, to help you and the trader to reach a solution. The main types of ADR that deal with consumer disputes are conciliation, arbitration and mediation. They are usually provided by trade associations.

Further information: Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)



Public HealthFood SafetyConsumer Affairs
requires javascript

Consumers Affairs 2