My country has a consulate in the country where I need help, but it's so far away I cannot get there. What should I do?

You can get help from any other EU country's consulate that is located nearby (e.g. in the same city).




You're in Shanghai and need consular assistance, but your country's only consulates in China are in Beijing [1,068 km (664 miles) away] and Guangzhou [1,213 km (754 miles) away].


Since these consulates are so far away, they are not considered accessible (safely reachable by road or rail, within a reasonable time) - so you can ask for help at any of the 21 EU countries' consulates in Shanghai.


To do so, go to this site's homepage, select "CHINA – Shanghai" and "All EU Member States".