State Aid control
State Aid Modernisation (SAM)
On 8 May 2012, the Commission set out an ambitious State aid reform programme in the Communication on State aid modernisation.
The modernisation has three main, closely linked objectives:
- Foster growth in a strengthened, dynamic and competitive internal market
- Focus enforcement on cases with the biggest impact on the internal market
- Streamlined rules and faster decisions
State aid control should more effectively target sustainable growth-enhancing policies while encouraging budgetary consolidation, limiting distortions of competition and keeping the single market open.
On 17 January 2013, the European Parliament adopted a Resolution on State aid Modernisation, broadly supporting the initiative and its objectives. On 15 November 2012 the European Economic and Social Committee adopted an opinion on SAM. Likewise, on 29 November 2012, the Committee of the Regions adopted an opinion on SAM.
The Commission proposals include:
- To identify common principles for assessing the compatibility of aid with the internal market, across various guidelines and frameworks
- To revise, streamline and possibly consolidate State aid guidelines to make them consistent with those common principles:
- Rescue and restructuring aid (Guidelines adopted in principle on 9 July 2014, consultation on draft guidelines launched on 5 November 2013)
- Regional Aid (Guidelines adopted on 19 June 2013, consultation on draft guidelines closed in March 2013, consultation closed in April 2012)
- Research & Development & Innovation
Framework adopted on 21 May 2014
Press release – Memo – Policy brief – Frequently asked questions
consultation closed in February 2014, issues paper
of December 2012, consultation closed in April 2012)
- Agriculture: Draft Commission Guidelines for State aid in the agriculture and forestry sector and in rural areas 2014 to 2020 (draft GL) for information and feedback; New draft Block Exemption Regulation for the agriculture and forestry sector and for rural areas (draft ABER) for information and feedback.
- Environmental and Energy aid: Guidelines adopted on 9 April 2014 ; Multilateral meeting in February 2014 , Consultation on draft guidelines opened on 18 December 2013, Workshop held in April 2013 (presentations, and replies to the issues paper of March 2013), consultation closed in October 2012)
- Promotion of important projects of common European interest (consultation launched on
28 January 2014)
Communication from the Commission — Criteria for the analysis of the compatibility with the internal market of State aid to promote the execution of important projects of common European interest
Official Journal C 188, 20.06.2014, p.4
- Risk Finance
Guidelines adopted on 15.01.2014 - OJ C19, 22.01.2014, p. 4-34
Press release - Memo - Policy brief: A new rule book for Risk Finance State aid
(Other documents: meetings with Member States and stakeholders (13 September 2013 and 11 December 2012), consultation on draft guidelines launched on 24 July 2013, issues paper of November 2012,
consultation closed in October 2012)
- Broadband (Guidelines adopted on 18 December 2012, consultation closed in September 2012)
- Aviation Guidelines (consultation on draft guidelines launched on 3 July 2013;
Guidelines adopted on 20 February 2014 - Policy brief: New State aid rules for a competitive aviation industry )
- To revise the following regulations:
- To clarify and better explain the notion of State aid (consultation opened on 17 January 2014)
- To modernise the Procedural Regulation with regard to complaint-handling and introduce market information tools and sector inquiries in State aid - (Council Regulation (EU) No 734/2013 of 22 July 2013, press release; Commission proposal of 5 December 2012, consultation closed in October 2012, Implementing Regulation (Commission Regulation (EU) No 372/2014 adopted on 9 April 2014) as regards the calculation of certain time limits, the handling of complaints, and the identification and protection of confidential information (press release).
- To increase transparency of State aid awards (Communication adopted on 21 May 2014 )
- To require Member States to evaluate their main aid schemes (Commission Staff Working Document on a common methodology for State aid evaluation, consultation closed in January 2014; workshop and issues paper of April 2013, Policy brief of June 2014 'You cant improve what you can't measure: State aid evaluation' )
Provisional Supplementary Information Sheet for the notification of an evaluation plan en
This Supplementary Information Sheet is provisional and not mandatory. It is, however, recommended that – until its final version is approved as a part of the revision of the Implementing Regulation – Member States use it for notification of evaluation plans.
In parallel, State aid rules relating to agriculture and forestry are being revised (consultation on the Block Exemption regulation for agriculture and forestry sector and in rural areas; consultation
closed on 20 March 2013: Review of Community Guidelines, the Block Exemption Regulation and the de minimis Regulation for agriculture). Both the Guidelines and the Block Exemption Regulation have been prolonged until 30 June 2014.
More information and updates on the modernisation programme will be posted on this page as they become available.
Previous State aid reform: