Mission > Oral Hearings
The Hearing Officer organizes and conducts the oral hearings in antitrust and merger proceedings (Articles 10 to 13 of the Terms of Reference).
The oral hearing is a unique forum where all of the companies accused of an infringement of the antitrust rules or involved in a proposed merger are given the opportunity to present their views to a wider audience, including the team of Commission officials in charge of the investigation, the senior management, the Legal Service and other associated Commission services, as well as representatives of the competition authorities of the Members States. The oral hearing, which is not public, takes place after the addressees of a statement of objections have submitted their written replies. It constitutes a key element of each proceeding and, in some cases, has led the Commission to change the orientation of its investigation. The opportunity for all participants to ask questions often turns the hearing into a forum for discussion on the core issues of the case.
The Hearing Officer’s task to organize and conduct the oral hearing implies in particular:
- deciding on whether complainants and interested third persons are to be invited to the oral hearing (Article 6 of the Terms of Reference);
- contributing to the objectivity of the hearing itself (Article 10(3));
- the possibility of inviting participants to make known their views on certain topics (Article 11(1));
- the possibility of holding preparatory meetings involving the Commission staff and the parties before the hearing (Article 11(2));
- dealing with all organisational aspects including date, duration, location and agenda of the hearing (Article 12(1));
- deciding whether fresh documents should be admitted during the hearing (Article 12(2));
- chairing the hearing and deciding on the admission of questions from and to all participants at the hearing (Article 12(3)); and
- deciding whether further written comments may be submitted by any of the parties to the proceedings after the hearing (Article 12(4)).
These two documents contain detailed information for participants in oral hearings in merger cases or Article 101 or 102 cases .
Upcoming oral hearings
This publication is for information purposes only and is without prejudice to future changes. Oral hearings are not public.
||Case AT/39563 - Retail Food Packaging