The Hearing Officers
Currently the post of Hearing Officer for competition proceedings is held by Joos Stragier and Wouter Wils.
They are assisted by advisors and administrative supporting staff.
Joos Stragier was appointed as Hearing Officer in October 2013.
He worked in the European Commission's Directorate-General for Competition since 1989. He started as a case-handler in antitrust after which he joined the policy directorate dealing with policy coordination and international relations. From 1999 until 2004, he was deputy head and then head of unit dealing with antitrust and mergers in transport sectors. Thereafter, he was put in charge of anti-trust enforcement coordination and in 2007 he became head of the newly created strategy and delivery unit. Finally, he has been in charge of DG COMP's resources unit from 2008 until 2013.
Joos Stragier graduated with a law degree from the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium in 1982. He did a post-graduate degree in European law at the College of Europe in Belgium in 1983 and then worked as a legal counsel in Kredietbank, Brussels for five years.
Wouter Wils was appointed as Hearing Officer in 2010.
He was a Member of the European Commission's Legal Service from 1994 to 2010 and is a former référendaire of Advocate General van Gerven at the European Court of Justice.
Wouter Wils holds degrees in economics and in law from the universities of Louvain, Utrecht and Harvard. He is a Visiting Professor at King's College London, and is the author of a variety of legal and economic publications.
The Hearing Officers' team
- Mr Henry Abbott, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms María Fernández Molinero, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms Ana Fonseca, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms Ioana Postu, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms Xandra Reintjes, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Mr Alain Van Hamme, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms Isabel Yglesias Julià, Advisor to the Hearing Officers
- Ms Barbara Kjaer, Assistant
- Ms Maria Paschou, Assistant