Cooperation with national courts
Training of national judges and judicial cooperation in the field of EU competition law
Since 2002, the Competition Directorate-General of the European Commission operates a subsidies program dedicated to the training of national judges in EU competition law and judicial cooperation between national judges. Approximately 120 projects have so far been co-financed, involving more than 7000 national judges.
Calls for proposals for projects under this program are published annually. Once new projects for training judges have been approved, details of the training programs are published below on this page.
Should you have any query in relation to training of judges in EU competition law, contact us.
Upcoming events, actions and trainings for judges:
||Title / Content
|19-21 February 2015
||Seminar: Competition Economics for Judges
||Judges and prosecutors dealing with competition law cases on a national level in EU member countries
|4 July 2014
Enforcing EU Competition Law in National Courts
**Due to the workshop-based nature of this event, places are limited so early registration is advised.**
The day-long interactive workshop will be led by recognised leaders in EU competition law and economics. It will focus on current issues in competition enforcement, working through practical case-studies. Key topics covered will include:
* The implications of the Directive on competition damages actions, adopted by the European Parliament on 17 April 2014 and currently pending approval with the Council;
* Economic quantification of competition damages;
* Conflicts of law issues in competition cases;
* Issues in EU State aid law before national courts, including difficulties in applying the concept of aid, the effect of the Commission Guidance for national courts applying State aid law, and the implications of the Article 4(3) TEU duty of loyal cooperation for national judges applying State aid law.
More information is available on the workshop website accessible here. The workshop is funded by the European Commission, and costs of eligible participants will be covered.
|National judges and competition enforcers
|Oct. 2013 - June 2014
||Training of Slovenian and Croatian Judges for the Application of EU Competition Law
- Current topics of EU competition law, 4 Oct. 2013 (Ljubljana)
- Workshop on state aid, 18 Oct. 2013 (Ljubljana)
- Workshop on antitrust, 15 Nov. 2013 (Ljubljana)
- Seminar and Workshop on EU competition law, 14 Feb. 2014 (Zagreb)
- Scientific conference on the application of EU competition law in the national courts, 6 June 2014 (Ljubljana)
Full programme and lecture materials
|Slovenian and Croatian judges
||Ljubljana (Slovenia) Zagreb (Croatia)
||Slovenian and Croatian
||Dizionario sistematico del diritto della concorrenza
(The Competition Law Dictionary)
|National Judges, Lawyers, etc.
|Feb. - Nov. 2014
ENTRANCE 2014 (European Networking and Training for National Competition Enforcers)
Training of National Judges in EU Competition Law
Call for applications
Feb 2014: online preparatory activities
5-8 Mar 2014: residential training in Florence
Mar 2013- Sept 2014: online activities
2-4 Oct 2014: final workshop in Florence
Oct-Nov 2014: online follow-up activities
|13-17 October 2014
||Seminar: TRAJECT Training
of Judges in European Competition law
(including prosecutors, apprentice and substitute judges)
focusing on EU competition law from the Netherlands, Germany and Hungary