Draft guidelines on state aid for rescuing and restructuring non-financial undertakings in difficulty
Competition: State aid
Institutions, public authorities, citizens, companies and organisations are welcome to contribute to this consultation. Contributions are particularly sought from public authorities (Member States, regions, cities and municipalities) providing aid for undertakings in difficulty.
Period of consultation
From 05.11.2013 to 31.12.2013
Objective of the consultation
Since rescue and restructuring aid are among the most distortive types of State aid, the draft guidelines seek to ensure that they are given only on strict conditions that mitigate the harm to competition. At the same time, as an integral part of the Commission's State aid modernisation (SAM) programme, the guidelines aim to ensure that aid is better targeted and to simplify the conditions applicable to less distortive forms of aid.
The main elements of the Commission's proposals are:
- A new concept of "temporary restructuring support", designed to simplify the granting of State aid for restructuring SMEs while reducing distortions of competition.
- Better filters, to improve the targeting of aid and ensure that aid is only given in cases where it is truly in the public interest.
- Options for introducing the concept of "burden sharing", to ensure that a company's investors make a fair contribution to the costs of the restructuring.
The Commission is also inviting stakeholders' views on how the definition of "undertaking in difficulty" could be made more objective and precise.
How to submit your contribution
- You are invited to respond to this consultation in any official EU language. Given the possible delays in translating comments submitted in certain languages, translations of the replies into one of the Commission's working languages (preferably English) would be welcome to enable the Commission to process them more swiftly.
- In your reply, please indicate whether you are replying as citizen, organisation or public authority. If your organisation is registered in the Transparency Register, please indicate your Register ID number. If your organisation is not registered, we invite you to register now, although it is not compulsory to be registered to reply to the consultation. Responses from organisations not registered will be published separately.
- Contributions will be published on this webpage. Submissions that are clearly marked "confidential" will be treated as such and not published. In that case please also provide a non-confidential version of your reply. It is important to read the privacy statement attached to this consultation for information on how your personal data and contribution will be dealt with.
View the consultation documents
Draft guidelines (PDF): bg cs da de el en es et fi fr hr hu it lt lv mt nl pl pt ro sk sl sv
Draft guidelines (DOCX): bg cs da de el en es et fi fr hr hu it lt lv mt nl pl pt ro sk sl sv
Explanatory note (PDF): bg cs da de el en es et fi fr hr hu it lt lv mt nl pl pt ro sk sl sv
Explanatory note (DOCX): bg cs da de el en es et fi fr hr hu it lt lv mt nl pl pt ro sk sl sv
Press release: State aid: Commission consults on draft guidelines for supporting non-financial firms in difficulty de en fr
Reference documents and other, related consultations
Current (2004) Community guidelines on State aid for rescuing and restructuring firms in difficulty
Previous consultation on the Review of Rescue and Restructuring aid Guidelines (December 2010 - February 2011)
Reason why the consultation period is less than 12 weeks
The draft guidelines have been informed by an earlier consultation carried out in 2010-2011, which invited Member States and other stakeholders to provide feedback on their experience of the 2004 rescue and restructuring guidelines in practice, especially in the light of the economic crisis. Although that initial review of the guidelines led to the decision to prolong the current rules until their replacement by new rules in line with the SAM programme, the consultation carried out in the context of that earlier review process remains the basis of the current proposal.
Since the rescue and restructuring guidelines are an integral part of the SAM package, a shortened consultation period is also necessary in order to allow for their adoption in due time as part of the package.
Responsible service: Competition DG, Unit A3. State aid policy and scrutiny
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please always indicate the reference number in your correspondence: HT.1117 – Revision of the Community Guidelines on State Aid for Rescue and Restructuring Firms in Difficulty
Directorate-General for Competition
State aid Registry
Ref.: HT.1117 – Revision of the Community Guidelines on State Aid for Rescue and Restructuring Firms in Difficulty
Replies to the consultation
- Belgium - Permanent Representation fr
- Croatia - Permanent Representation en
- Czech Republic - Permanent Representation cs
- Denmark - Ministry of Business and Growth en
- Estonia - Ministry of Finance et
- Finland - Ministry of Employment and the Ecomony 1_en 2_en
- France - Assemblée Nationale fr
- France - Permanent Representation fr
- Germany - Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie de - de
- Hungary - State Aid Monitoring Office hu
- Ireland - Permanent Representation en
- Italy - Permanent Representation it
- Latvia - Ministry of Finance lv
- Lithuania - Competition Council of the Republic of Lithuania lt
- Netherlands - Dutch interministerial state aid working group nl
- Poland - Office of Competition and Consumer Protection pl
- Portugal - Permanent Representation pt
- Romania - Permanent Representation ro
- Slovak Republic - Ministry of Finance sk
- United Kingdom - Permanent Representation en
- Spain - Generalitat de Catalunya es
- Austria - Bundesarbeitskammer (Austrian Chamber of Labour) de
- Belgium - Business Europe en
- Belgium - European Association of Public Banks en
- Belgium - Joint contribution from European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and industriAll en - en
- Belgium - Network of European Financial Institutions for SMEs - NEFI en
- Italy - Confindustria it
- Germany - Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce - DIHK de
- Germany - Bundesverband Öffentlicher Banken Deutschlands, VÖB de
- Germany - Deutscher Bauernverband e.V. de
- Germany - Wirtschaftsvereinigung Stahl de
- Poland - COMPER Fornalczyk & Partners General Partnership en
- Czech Republic - Conferation of Industry of the Czech Republic - SPCR cs
- France - Association des Régions de France - ARF fr
- France - Association des avocats pratiquant le droit de la concurrence (APDC) fr
- France - Fédération des très petities entreprises de Guyane - FTPE fr
- Germany - Bundesverband der Deutschen Industrie - BDI en
- Germany - Deutsche Kreditwirtschaft de
- Germany - Salzgitter en
- Ireland - Ryanair en
- Luxembourg - La Chambre des salariés du Luxembourg fr
- Spain - Spanish Business Confederation of Social Economy - CEPES es
- United Kingdom - European Competition Lawyers Forum and the Competition Law Committee of the City of London Law Society en
- United Kingdom - IAG - International Airlines Group en