Industry and Entrepreneurship
12.10.2011: Communication on "Industrial policy: reinforcing competitiveness", COM(2011) 642
Together with two accompanying documents:
- "European Competitiveness Report 2011"
- Commission staff working document: "Member States competitiveness performance and policies 2011", SEC(2011) 1187
24.11.2011: 3rd High-Level Conference on Industrial Competitiveness "Delivering an Integrated Industrial Policy for the Globalisation Era"
One of the main deliverables of the flagship initiative "An Industrial Policy for the Globalisation Era" has been to put in place the competiveness proofing.
To speed up its implementation, the Commission developed a 12-step operational guidance (SEC (2012) 91).
In the process of development the methodology has been partially or fully tested and applied in the impact assessments of a number of proposals such as:
- The ETS allowances to address the risk of carbon leakage
- The Tax on Financial Transactions
- The amendments to the Toy Safety Directive
- Commission's policy in regard to the Security Industry
- Working Time Directive
- The Roadmap for a Low-Carbon Economy
- Data protection reform
6.07.2011: Publication of the study on “The Competitiveness of the European companies and Resource efficiency”. It investigates the business risks and opportunities related to the use of natural resources and provides helpful detail on costs, benefits, drivers and barriers to resource efficiency. It also gives some good examples of best practices in 9 industrial sectors and gives policy recommendations on the way forward.
Its content was also reflected in the Council conclusions on Resource efficiency adopted on 29 September 2011.
The study has been welcomed in several meetings with industry in the course of 2011.
6.06.2011: Helping EU industries to speed up carbon efficiency: Launch of the SILC initiative (Sustainable Industry Low Carbon).
SILC is an EU grant scheme that aims at finding technological and non-technological innovation measures in order to help energy intensive manufacturing industries reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
26.05.2011: Publication of the 2011 call for proposal and selection of a first batch of projects. Grants were awarded to two project consortia, with co-financing amounts of EUR 370 491 and EUR 447 722 respectively.
12.10.2011 Communication on Reinforcing Competitiveness, COM(2011) 642 provided an in dept analysis of EU Member States competitiveness strengths and weakness.
2.02.2011: Communication on “Tackling the challenges in commodity markets and on raw materials”, COM(2011) 0025.
Many actions were undertaken in accordance with the Communication, of which the following should be mentioned:
- 9-10.12.2011: Strengthening of EU-African Union relations with the organisation of the Mining Taxation Workshop in Addis Ababa;
- 9.06.2011: Statement of Intent signed with Chile on raw materials;
- 19.12.2011: Statement of Intent signed with Uruguay on raw materials.
- On going preparation of the Innovation Partnership on Raw Materials. Due to be published in first half of 2012
In order to alleviate the financial burden on equipment manufacturers during the economic crisis, the so-called Flexibility scheme (Directive 2011/88/EU) was introduced, with the aim to reduce the financial burden and spreading Research and Development (R&D) costs over a longer period.