The first and foremost priority for me as Commissioner for Economic and Monetary affairs is growth and jobs, in the context of macroeconomic stability.
I am responsible for :
- Coordinating a strategy for an exit from the current economic crisis
- Putting public finances in all Member states back to a sustainable path
- Help to improve the quality of public finances in the EU
- Promoting the euro area and its gradual enlargement
- Representing the Commission in international discussions on economic,monetary and financial matters to promote a strong EU position, notably in the G7 and the G20
Read more: Mission letter from president Barroso [159 KB]