The Commission demonstrates its support for Mali
‘I informed the Prime Minister today of the European pledge to organise a European donor conference in mid-May to help with the reconstruction of Mali,’ President Barroso declared, after his meeting with Mr Django Cissoko on Monday evening.
‘This is another demonstration of our pledge and commitment to the stability, unity, democracy and development of Mali. The Malian people can rely on Europe,’ continued the President.
‘Since President Traore’s appeal for international assistance, the European Union, jointly and individually through its Member States, specifically France’s decisive military action, has provided unfailing support to Mali. I reiterated to Prime Minister Cissoko today our determination to continue and increase this European support.’
The European Union has already made significant decisions to help Mali, in particular with:
- the launch today of the EUTM (European Union Training Mission);
- logistical and financial assistance (up to EUR 50 million) to the International Support Mission to Mali under African leadership;
- the adoption of an initial budget of EUR 20 million for humanitarian aid to Mali in 2013;
- gradual resumption of development cooperation (EUR 250 million including budget support, currently being prepared);
- the immediate launch of quick impact actions in different areas using a budget envelope of EUR 20 million, which was approved just last Friday.