Commission Work Programme 2013: concrete actions for growth
Return of the European Union to sustainable growth is the number one task for the European Commission and objective of the new Commission Work Programme for 2013 published on Tuesday 23 October.
It requires new thinking and targeted action in a limited number of key policy areas. President Barroso said: "This Work Programme shows how the Commission is working day by day to take the steps needed. 2013 will be a crucial year for showing our citizens that the EU is leading the way in taking the credible, concrete steps needed to lead us out of the crisis and build the right springboard for future sustainable growth."
The Commission Work Programme summarises the objectives for the Union in seven key areas and sets out what is missing today. It then explains how the Commission will tackle these objectives by taking forward key initiatives already on the table, by making new proposals, and by ensuring that the benefits of reform are carried through to citizens by effective implementation.
The 7 key areas in the adopted Work Programme are:
- A genuine Economic and Monetary Union
- Boosting competitiveness through the Single Market and industrial policy
- Connect to compete: building tomorrow's networks today
- Growth for jobs: inclusion and excellence
- Using Europe's resources to compete better
- Building a safe and secure Europe
- Pulling our weight: Europe as a global actor
Read more in a press release issued on the occasion. At the site devoted to the Commission Work Programme you will also find detailed annex to the Programme in English, French and German. Other languages will be made available soon.