THE EU AT THE G8/G20
The Group of Eight (G8) is a forum of the world's largest economies to discuss common challenges and possible solutions. The European Union is, together with Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States, a full member of the G8.
THE EU AT THE G8/G20
European Commission President José Manuel Barroso and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy represented the EU at the G8 meeting in Camp David, USA, on 18 and 19 May 2012.
After the discussions on the economy, Presidents Barroso and Van Rompuy said in a joint statement: "We were comforted to hear that all leaders agree on the need to take action to boost confidence and nurture recovery in response to the current economic challenges we face. We had a candid and open discussion with the other G8 members on the situation in the Euro area. On-going EU discussions and measures taken to generate growth, combined with structural reforms, targeted investment and fiscal consolidation were welcomed by the non-European G8 leaders. On Greece, it is important that, together with our G8 partners we reaffirmed our strong wish to see Greece stay in the Euro zone, while respecting the commitments that were made."
Important outcomes from other priority areas of discussions:
- the G8 endorsed the "New Alliance for Food Security and Nutrition", which gathers together donors, partner countries and the private sector in a joint effort to lift 50 million people out of poverty in the next ten years.
- the G8 renewed its commitment to the Deauville Partnership to support Arab Countries in transition.
- the G8 agreed to join the Climate and Clean Air Coalition to Reduce Short-lived Climate Pollutants and expressed strong support towards the adoption of a legally binding climate action instrument for all parties by 2015.
Read more in the complete Camp David Declaration and in the press material section of this website.
PRESS RELEASES AND STATEMENTS
- Read the latest on the summit
- Joint statement by European Commission President Barroso and European Council President Van Rompuy after the G8 working session on the global economy
- Camp David Declaration
- Statement by President Barroso ahead of the G8 Summit
- Visit the G8 Audiovisual gallery
- EU at the 2012 G8 Summit
- EU at the G8 summit: Questions and answers
- Read the statement on Greece and growth before the G8
VIDEOS AND PHOTOS
Jose Manuel Barroso, to the left and Barack Obama
General view from the Working Session on Afghanistan Economic Transition
Arrival of the President Jose Manuel Barroso to Camp David
From left to right: Jose Manuel Barroso, Dimitri Medvedev, Yoshihiko Noda and Stephen Harper
From left to right: David Cameron, Barack Obama, Jose Manuel Barroso, Mario Monti, Dimitri Medvedev, Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande