Curriculum vitae [15 KB]
- Born on 15 October 1953 in Stuttgart
- One son
- Member of the European Commission responsible for energy since February 2010
- Vice-President of the European Commission since 1 July 2014
- 2005 - 2010 Minister-President of Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
- Member of the Governing Board and the Federal Executive Committee of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU Deutschland) since 2005.
- Member of the State Parliament of Baden-Württemberg from 1984 to 2010.
- Chairman of the Federal Committee on Media Policy of the CDU from 1999 to 2006 and of the Media Policy Experts’ Group of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany from 2006 to 2010.
- Chairman of the Christian Democratic Union of Baden-Württemberg (CDU Baden-Württemberg) from 29 April 2005 to 20 November 2009.
- Co-Chairman of the Commission on the Modernisation of Financial Relations between the Federal Government and the German States (Federalism Reform II) from March 2007 to March 2009.
- District Chairman of the CDU in northern Württemberg (CDU Nordwürttemberg) from December 2001 to July 2005.
- Chairman of the CDU in Ditzingen from 1977 to 1985.
- Federal State Chairman of 'Junge Union Baden-Württemberg’ (youth section of the CDU in Baden-Württemberg) from 1983 to 1989.
- District Councillor in Ludwigsburg from 1979 to 1993.
- Town Councillor in Ditzingen from 1980 to 1994. Leader of CDU members of Ditzingen Municipal Council from 1982 to 1994.
- Chairman of the CDU Baden-Württemberg parliamentary group in the State Parliament from January 1991 to April 2005.
- From 1988 to 2005, lawyer and CEO of a firm of auditors and tax consultancy.
- From 1984 to 1988, lawyer employed by a firm of auditors and tax consultancy.
- From 1982 to 1984, employed by a firm of auditors and tax consultancy.
- Member and Presidency (March 2007-February 2009) of ‘Four Motors of Europe’.
- Studied law and economics in Tübingen. First State Law Examination in 1978. Scientific Assistant at Tübingen University. Second State Law Examination in 1982.
- Primary school in Ditzingen, grammar school and ‘Abitur’ (upper secondary school leaving certificate) in Korntal.
- German: mother tongue
- English: proper knowledge
- French: basic knowledge
- Italian: basic knowledge