European Commission recommends moving onto next stages towards EU entry
"For the candidate and potential candidate countries our policy facilitates a profound transformation. A transformation to a stable, pluralistic democracy which upholds and reinforces the rule of law. A transformation to a functioning market economy and the prospect of long term prosperity. A transformation to a modern society, which fully embraces the values at the heart of the European Union. This same process benefits the European Union and its Member States. At this time of on-going economic uncertainty in Europe, the transformational enlargement process:
- provides stability in the region,
- creates a larger economic space and
- increases the human and cultural capital of our common European home", stated Commissioner Füle on 12 October at the Presentation of the 2011 Enlargement Package.
- Press Release, Speech, Memos: IP/11/1182, SPEECH/11/652, MEMO/11/686, MEMO/11/687, MEMO/11/688, MEMO/11/689, MEMO/11/690, MEMO/11/691, MEMO/11/692, MEMO/11/693, MEMO/11/694
- 8 Progress reports, Opinion Serbia's membership application, a formal favourable Opinion on Croatia's accession, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council: "Enlargement Strategy and Main Challenges 2011-2012''