The new Interreg-IPA cross border programme adopted by the Commission will invest in the border regions of Croatia and Serbia for job creation and growth. Funding will be focused on improving the quality of public social and health services. Investments will also be targeted at the increased use of sustainable resources and at the cross border monitoring of environmental risks. Moreover, the programme will boost cross border tourism activity. Finally, funding will also be used to improve regional competitiveness by strengthening the links between businesses and research institutions.
Corina Crețu, Commissioner for Regional Policy said: "Our cross border programmes provide concrete measures to improve the citizens' quality of life and offer new economic opportunities to the people living in the border regions of the European Union and its neighbours."
The Interreg IPA CBC Croatia-Serbia programme covers 4 border regions in Croatia and 5 Serbian districts. It is worth more than €40 million, with a contribution of more than €34 million from the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) and the European Regional Development Fund.
Some of the expected impacts include:
- Improved quality of public health and social care services.
- Better management of environmental and biodiversity protection and upgraded joint cross border management system for risk prevention.
- Increased capacities for the development of sustainable energy by providing a platform for smart energy management and renewable energy use in public infrastructures, including in public buildings, and in the public housing sector.
- An improved cross border tourism offer thanks to a better coordination between stakeholders in the tourism sector and to the development of joint tourism strategies, as well as action plans and studies on the preservation of cultural and natural heritages.
- Improved competitiveness through the setup of business networks.
The 9 NUTS III or equivalent regions involved in the Interreg IPA CBC Croatia - Serbia programme are:
- Croatia: Osječko-baranjska county, Vukovarsko-srijemska county, Brodsko-posavska county and Požeško-slavonska county.
- Serbia: North Bačka district, West Bačka district, South Bačka district, Srem district and Mačva district.
The programme is managed by the Agency for Regional Development of the Republic of Croatia – Directorate for Managing Cooperation Programmes and Regional Development.
Total Budget of the cooperation programme: €40 344 930.
Total EU contribution: €34 293 188.
The Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA) gives financial and technical help to support reforms in the accession countries. For the period 2014-2020, Interreg-IPA has a budget of some €4.84 billion to be invested in 12 cross-border cooperation programmes between regions and territorial, social and economic partners.