Financial Transparency System (FTS)
Which bodies pay out EU funding?
- the Commission itself and its executive agencies (e.g. funding for research, education and training and transport and energy)
- national and regional authorities in EU countries (e.g. for the common agricultural policy and the Structural Funds)
- authorities in non-EU countries that receive financial support from the EU (e.g. development aid)
- international organisations (e.g. UN, World Bank).
Directly from the Commission
About 20% of the EU budget is paid directly to organisations and businesses. These can be found in the EU's financial transparency system:
- beneficiaries of grants
- contractors paid directly by the Commission to implement EU programmes
- contractors providing the Commission with day-to-day supplies and services
- other Commission administrative expenditure (excluding staff costs).
Via other authorities
The other 80% or so of the budget is paid out by other authorities (national or regional).
See Beneficiaries of grants from other authorities.