Exchange of views with Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti : - extracts from the meeting

Type: News   Reference: 87916   Duration: 00:04:57  Lieu: Strasbourg, France - European Parliament
End production: 19/11/2012   First transmission: 19/11/2012
The President of the Republic of Haïti, Michel Joseph Martelly exchanged views with Members of the European Parliament on Monday during Strasbourg plenary session at the premises of the European Parliament in Strasbourg. The meeting was organised jointly by the Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on Development and in association with the Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly. Michel Joseph Martelly won the Haitian general election, 2010–2011 for his party Repons Peyizan (Farmers' Response Party), after a run-off against candidate Mirlande Manigat. Martelly had come third in the first round of the election, until the Organization of American States forced Jude Célestin to withdraw due to alleged fraud. Martelly assumed his position of the President of Haiti on May 14, 2011. His election campaign included a promise to reinstate the nation's military, which had been abolished in the 1990s by Aristide.

Only the original language version is authentic and it prevails in the event of its differing from the translated versions.
PDF version

TIME DESCRIPTION DURATION
00:00:00 Title 00:00:05
00:00:05 Exterior shot of the EP, Strasbourg 00:00:05
00:00:10 Ambience shots before the meeting, arrival of Michel Joseph Martelly, President of the Republic of Haïti. 00:00:09
00:00:19 SOUNDBITE (French) Michèle STRIFFLER (EPP, FR) encourages the President to make the necessary changes for Haiti to become a fully democratic country and be back on its feet: "Mr President, we count on you". 00:00:15
00:00:34 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "We call to our friend to continue to help us; this time though, it is not so much that we are calling for rescue, instead we are looking at ways for better using our resources, the enormous potential that rest within us". 00:00:28
00:01:02 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "Haiti is open for businesses, this is the way in which we want to be perceived by the world; we want to help our millions of inactive people to find a job". 00:00:18
00:01:20 SOUNDBITE (French) Louis MICHEL (ALDE, BE): "Be sure that we are on your side at every level of the catastrophes; I am specially thinking about food security, which affects 40% of the population, and also as regards measures to take to avoid any new catastrophe". 00:00:14
00:01:34 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "Today I am here to say that thanks to your support, Haiti is managing to get back on its feet and it is a state that has a future before it. Thanks to you things are going better, we can't say that everything has been solved, there are still problems in the country but today we can say that the efforts that you have made have produced results". 00:00:34
00:02:08 SOUNDBITE (French) Ana GOMES, on some allegations complaining about harassment to opposition politicians and other human rights activists, she questions the President on whether he seeks the EU help in order to enquiry those allegations. 00:00:24
00:02:32 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: " I can assure you there hasn't been any political arrest, not one political prisoner". 00:00:12
00:02:44 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "Two years ago I was on a podium, but on a musical one, I am a musician that has never before done politics. I have introduced my candidacy as President and I have been elected President of the Republic in less three months". 00:00:23
00:03:07 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "I was elected by 70% of the population. Obviously, from the other 30%, a 10% is probably demonstrating against me. But I can tell you something: today there is confidence in Haiti, population realizes that, for the first time, they are a priority for the government. Why? Because since the beginning of my Presidency we have prioritized the Haitian people, and not only the infrastructures. We have decided to put kids in school… why this has not been done before?" 00:00:45
00:03:52 SOUNDBITE (French) Michel Joseph MARTELLY, President of the Republic of Haïti: "It is the first time that the state has managed to dismantle a network of bandits, and this network is stronger than the state itself! To come here I had to make formal request to the US and to France for assistance, because this network, if it decides to overturn the government, they can do it in a minute". 00:00:28
00:04:20 Cutaways 00:00:37
00:04:57 END 00:00:00
Audiovisual Services
European Commission
ec.europa.eu/avservices
 
Conditions of use
© European Union, 2014