Leonard Orban is Romania’s current Secretary of State with the Ministry of European Integration, coordinating Romania’s preparation for accession to the EU in January 2007. As a Member of the European Commission, he will be responsible for multi-lingualism. He speaks Romanian (mother tongue), English (primary working language), French and Italian (passive). L. Orban was born in Brasov, Romania, in 1961. He graduated in Economics and Engineering but he quickly specialized in European affairs. He was Deputy and Chief Negotiator with the EU from 2001 to 2005 and has been Secretary of State since December 2004. He is married with one daughter and adores reading (especially about foreign policy), listening to classical music, going to the cinema and playing chess.
The Audiovisual service of the European Commission has prepared an infoclip on L. Orban that contains the following images:
- Parliament in Bucharest and the Ministry of European Integration
- Leonard Orban arriving at the Ministry and working in his office
- Purchasing dictionaries and a guide to Belgium and reading them in the bookshop’s café
- Walking in a park in Bucharest
- Playing chess PHOTOSHOTLIST