VNR: Guarding Europe's frontiers, An Agency to manage the EU's external borders
On 11 November 2003, the European Commission is to adopt a proposal on the creation of an Agency to manage the EU's external borders. This video report, produced on behalf of DG Justice and Home Affairs, illustrates the context leading to the creation of this new Agency.
It shows the following subjects:
- Illegal immigration on the Spanish and Italian coast and the control of maritime borders
- The need to co-operate with countries of origin and transit of illegal immigration: the positive experience of Albania, where both the EU and Italian cooperation with the Albanian border guards lead to the confiscation of speedboats used for the trafficking of people and smuggled goods across the Adriatic.
- Illustration of detection technologies at maritime and land borders
- The future EU Eastern land borders. How Polish and German border guards cooperate to prepare for Enlargement.
- The Centre for Land Borders in Berlin, where the Directors of Border Guard Services of the member states and new member states cooperate. Illustration of a pilot project where Spanish, Austrian, French and German border guards work together on the German-Polish Border.
- Interviews: Italian border guards, Albanian border guards, Director of the Centre for Land Borders in Berlin Mr Mathias Schaeff, European Commission Director General for Justice and Home Affairs Jonathan Faull, European Commissioner for Justice and Home Affairs António Vitorino, MEP Hubert Pirker, rapporteur on Security Issues.