The planning competition for the restructuring of the European quarter, organised by the Brussels-Capital Region, in close collaboration with the European Commission and Brussels-Town, was launched in April 2008.
The Brussels-Capital Ministry has selected the names of five teams from among the 35 applicants.
The winner of the competition has been announced at a press conference on 05/03/2009, given by Charles Piqué, Minister-President of the Governement of the Brussels-Capital Region, and Siim Kallas, Vice-President of the EC in charge of Administrative Affairs, Audit and Anti-Fraud.
To illustrate this event, the European Commission's audiovisual Service has prepared an infoclip including the following views:
- the European quarter;
- green areas in the European quarter;
- Schuman Roundabout and Arcades of the Cinquantenaire;
- the European buildings : Berlaymont, Justus Lipsius, Charlemagne, Lex, European Parliament and Madou Tower;
- European institutions seen from square Marie-Louise;
- rue de la Loi;
- junction of Arts-Loi/rue de la Loi;
- rue Joseph II;
- Berlaymont and Justus Lipsius buildings and rue de la Loi, at night.