To coincide with the Informal Meeting of European Union Ministers Responsible for Integration which will take place in Potsdam on 10-11/05/2007, the European Commission's audiovisual service has prepared a video stockshot on projects that help promote the integration of immigrants in society.
The video stockshot covers:
- Centre for the Education and the Integration of Migrants (Dublin)
- Job search and business development support (Dublin)
- Football as means of integration (Groningen)
- Turkish radio programme (Zaanstad)
- Photo exhibition on successful cases of female integration (Paris)
- The right of business initiative (Marseille)
A number of EU financial instruments and other initiatives directly or indirectly support the integration of immigrants - Structural Funds, in particular the European Social Fund, and a European Refugee Fund aimed at promoting the social and economic integration of refugees.
In case of immigrants who are not citizens of the EU, a funding programme was created in 2003 for preparatory actions promoting the integration in EU member states: the INTI - Integration of third country nationals.
On the basis of a Commission proposal, the European Parliament and the Council came to an agreement at the end of 2006 on a draft Decision establishing the European Fund for the Integration of third-country nationals for the period 2007-2013 which is part of the "Solidarity and management of migration flows" general programme.
Its main goal is to support the efforts of Member States to enable third country nationals to fulfil the conditions of residence and to facilitate their integration into European societies.
The fund’s resources are 825 million euros for the period 2007-2013. 93% of the budget (768 million) will be distributed among the Member States and the other 7% (57 million) will go for Community actions.