Industry and Entrepreneurship
27.01.2012: Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 286/2012 amending the Textile Regulation 1007/2011 to technical progress in order to include a new textile fibre name, Annex I, and, for the purposes of their adaptation to technical progress, Annexes VIII and IX to Regulation (EU) No 1007/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council on textile fibre names and related labelling and marking of the fibre composition of textile products, OJEU L 95/1.
Upon the request from the European Parliament, two studies on the situation and prospects of (1) the textile and clothing sector and (2) the footwear sector were carried out with external contractors.
Three studies in view of preparing the reports due under Articles 24 and 25 of the Textile Regulation were launched and nearly finalised with external contractors:
- on the feasibility of a leather labelling system at European level;
- on the need and options for the harmonisation of the labelling of textile and clothing products;
- on the link between allergic reactions and chemicals in textile products.
March 2012: A two-day conference with 75 participants from EU and Southern Mediterranean countries took place in Milan as part of the Euromed dialogue on textiles and clothing. Participants shared best practices for supporting research and SME cooperation with programs and funding.
Fashion and high-end industries
In parallel to the Communication on "Cultural and creative sectors for growth and jobs in the EU" adopted by the Commission on 26 September 2012, two Commission staff working documents were published with the contribution of a Fashion Working Group and the High Level Group:
- 26.09.2012: Competitiveness of the European high-end industries, SWD(2012)286
- 05.10.2012: Policy options for the competitiveness of the European fashion industries “Where manufacturing meets creativity”, SWD(2012)284 final/2.
These documents discuss possible policy initiatives for skills and innovation, protection of IPR, a level- playing field in trade and a regulatory framework for growth.