Taxing the Digital Economy: Commission has appointed the members of the expert group
The Commission has appointed the members of the High Level expert group on Taxation of the Digital Economy.
The group will be chaired by Vítor Gaspar, former finance minister of Portugal, and will bring together six further experts from across Europe with different backgrounds and expertise relevant to the subject:
- Mr Pierre Collin from the French Conseil d'Etat
- Mr Michael Devereux from Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation
- Mr Jim Hagemann Snabe, Co-CEO of SAP AG
- Ms Tea Varrak from Innovation and Business Centre Mektory in Estonia
- Ms Mary Walsh, Non-executive director and Consultant in Ireland
- Mr Björn Westberg from Jönköping International Business School in Sweden.
The expert group will dentify the key problems with digital taxation from an EU perspective, and present a range of possible solutions. The Commission will then develop any necessary EU initiatives to improve the tax framework for the digital sector in Europe.
The first meeting of the group is planned to take place on 12 December 2013. The group should report back report back to the Commission in the first half of 2014.